When traveling to Bali for less than 30 days, most countries can benefit of a free visa. A visa is required for visits longer than 30 days. It can be applied for in advance at Indonesian embassies or at the arrival at any airport in the country. If you want to discover in depth the Island of the Gods, you have to know that 30 days is not enough to see the whole island as there are many places to visit and you will not have enough time to see it all.

How can you get a free 30-day visa

At this time, there are 169 countries that can obtain free 30-day visas for Indonesia. There is no need to make any prior formalities for this visa. On your arrival in Bali, you will have to go to the Immigration Office and show your passport. To be approved for the free visa and have your passport stamped for 30 days, you have to meet a few conditions:

  • Your passport must be valid for at least 6 more months from the date you plan to enter Indonesia.
  • Your passport must have at least one blank page for it to be stamped.
  • If you are going to be in Indonesia for less than 30 days, you will need to show a return ticket or a plane ticket to continue your journey to another country. Your flight date must be within 30 days of entering the country.
  • The 30-day countdown starts on the day you arrive in Indonesia. For example, if you arrive at 10pm, it counts as a whole day.

NOTE: If you accept the 30-day free visa, you will not be able to extend your visa.

How can you get a free 30-day visa

If you plan to spend more than 30 days in Indonesia, you will have to apply for a visa. You can apply for the visa before traveling to Indonesia at the indonesian embassy or at the airport upon arrival.

Applying for the visa at the Indonesian embassy:

To apply for a 60-day visa at any of the Indonesian embassies, you will need to prepare the following documents:

  • a form filled with your personal details and signature (you can find it on the website of the indonesian embassy in your country)
  • your passport with more than 6 months validity from the arrival in Indonesia
  • a photocopy of the main page of the passport
  • two recent passport size photos, white background.
  • a copy of the ID
  • a copy of the ticket and flight itinerary (round trip)
  • a copy of the proof for the accommodation reservation: the first 3 nights

Besides handing in all this documentation at the embassy, you will have to pay a fee (the amount depends on each country).

Applying for the visa at your arrival to Bali airport

To apply for a visa at your arrival in Bali you will need to go to the Immigration Office at the airport and indicate your intention to spend more than 30 days in Bali before your passport gets stamped. To obtain the VISA ON ARRIVAL (VOA) for 60 days, you will have to pay €35 for the first 30 days and €25 more for another 30 days. You will also have to present all the documentation mentioned in the previous point.

How do you get another visa when your 60-day visa runs out

If you want to spend more than 60 days in Bali (or in Indonesia) is worth knowing that every time you leave Indonesia and re-enter, you receive another 30 days visa. Many people take advantage of this opportunity to leave Indonesia and re-enter on the same day. This is called Visa Run, and you should know that this is an illegal practice, and you can be refused entry into the country if they find out that you have left the same day. If your visa runs out and you want to spend more time in Indonesia, we recommend that you travel to another country and spend at least a few days or a week there. From Bali, it is easy to find cheap flights to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, but there are a lot more destinations to choose from.

What happens if you don't leave Indonesia after 30 or 60 days

If you exceed the days specified on your visa, even for one day, you will be fined for violating the law. The laws of Indonesia are quite strict in this case, so be aware of this and keep an eye on the day you have to leave the country.

If you spend more days in Indonesia than your visa allows, you will have to pay an overstay fine, which is one million rupees (IDR), approximately €65 .

If you have an accident that does not allow you to leave the country after 30 or 60 days, with the necessary documentation to prove the delay, you won’t have problems with the authorities. In some cases, you would still have to pay the overstay fine but, in case of natural disasters, the government does not usually require you to pay the fine.

Immigration offices in Bali

Once you are there, if you need more information about the visa, or to extend the one you already have, we recommend that you go to one of the immigration offices on the island:

Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I Khusus
Tel. (0361)-9351038/(0361)8468395
Fax. (0361)-9357011

Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I
Tel. (0361)-227828, 231149, 265030
Fax. (0361)-244340
Facebook: kanim kelas I denpasar

Kantor Imigrasi Kelas II
Jl. Seririt Singaraja Pemaron Singaraja Bali 81151
Tel. (0362)-32174
Fax. (0362)-31175